Another year has come and gone, and you know what that means — tax season. For some, tax season means worry, stress and a million questions from “How do I do them?” to “How can I afford for someone to prepare them for me?” Thankfully, United Way’s tax coalition partnership is here to help take away some of that worry with free tax preparation for qualifying St. Louis City, County, St. Charles and metro-east Illinois households. If your household brought in less than $52,000 in 2013, you may qualify.
Last year, 884 volunteers, through United Way’s tax coalition partnership with the Gateway EITC Community Coalition, Friendly Community Tax Coalition, St. Louis Metropolitan Chapter – National Association of Black Accountants and the St. Louis Tax Assistance Program, prepared more than 16,000 federal tax returns at free tax preparation sites located throughout the region. This resulted in more than $19.7 million in refunds which included $6.7 million in EITC refunds.
Need help with your tax preparation? Find a complete list of locations with available dates and times in your area or to file online, visit Gateway EITC’s or Friendly Community’s website. For any questions or to see if you qualify, contact United Way at 2-1-1 or 1-800-427-4626.
Please bring the following documents with you to the preparation:
- All W-2s and 1099s
- Social Security Card(s) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number(s) – ITIN – for all family members
- Valid picture ID for taxpayer and spouse (driver’s license or state ID or passport)
- Copy of your 2012 tax return
- 1098 or real estate tax receipt
- Proof of unemployment compensation
- Copy of a voided check or bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit
- Proof of child care expenses
- If married and filing jointly, both spouses must be present to sign paperwork
- Parcel number (Illinois homeowners only)